There are a wide variety of causes for ankle pain due to the complex structure of the foot and ankle. A multitude of tendons, ligaments, bones and other tissues are all susceptible to painful and debilitating problems associated with stress and injury. Ankle pain can radiate from the inside to the outside of the ankle, and even along the Achilles tendon which can radiate the pain further up the leg and even into the knees.
Some common causes of ankle pain and discomfort include the following:
● Tendonitis or tendon rupture
● Various types of arthritis
Because the ankle joint is so complex, even a minor injury can bring on severe pain, swelling, and discomfort.
Initial treatment for ankle pain is with the RICE method:
- Rest—Take the weight off of the ankle by using crutches or a wheelchair.
- Ice—Apply ice several times a day for ten to fifteen minutes at a time.
- Compression—A compression bandage can be wrapped around the ankle to help immobilize it and decrease swelling.
- Elevation—Propping your foot up on a pillow, so it is above the level of your heart will decrease swelling.
Ibuprofen or Tylenol can be taken to further reduce pain and inflammation. If the discomfort and swelling does not subside significantly after a few hours and if substantial improvement doesn’t occur after a few days, you may have a serious injury that requires medical attention. Schedule an appointment with the Foot First Podiatry Center in New Albany, IN. Our highly qualified podiatrist Dr. Zahid Ladha, D.P.M. is dedicated to providing the best diagnostic care and medical treatment for you and your feet. Contact us at (812) 945-9221 and schedule an appointment today!