How a Podiatrist Can Improve Your Foot Health
Your foot health is important because when your feet are healthy, you can stay active without pain. To ensure your foot health, it’s important to visit your podiatrist. Dr. Zahid Ladha at Foot First Podiatry in New Albany, IN, provides a wide range of foot and ankle services, to improve your foot health.
Podiatry Services and Foot Health
Your feet perform some important functions including supporting your weight, helping you stand and walk, and engage in activities and sports you love. In fact, if you are having foot issues, it can lead to loss of mobility, which can lead to weight gain and other medical issues.
Your podiatrist is an important person to have on your healthcare team because your podiatrist is an expert on foot, ankle, and toe conditions. These are some of the most common toe, ankle, and foot conditions and how your podiatrist can treat them.
- Ingrown toenails–your podiatrist may remove part or all of the ingrown toenail to promote new toenail growth
- Hammertoes–your podiatrist may prescribe custom fit orthotics or surgery to help realign your toe
- Fungal toenail–your podiatrist may perform laser therapy to kill the underlying fungus causing the toenail infection
- Plantar fasciitis–your podiatrist may prescribe anti-inflammatory medication or injections, and orthotics to decrease pain and inflammation
- Bunions–your podiatrist may recommend orthotics or surgical treatment to remove the bunion and realign your foot
- Lateral ankle instability–your podiatrist may recommend wearing an ankle brace to improve stability, or surgery to repair damaged or torn ligaments and tendons
- Ankle strain or sprain–your podiatrist may prescribe anti-inflammatory medication, rest, and immobilization of your ankle so it can heal
- A broken ankle–your podiatrist may recommend surgical treatment to repair and realign the bones in your ankle
Podiatry services are important for everyone, from children to adults to seniors. Visiting a podiatrist is especially important if you have a chronic disease which is affecting your feet, ankles, or toes. Diabetes, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis can dramatically affect the health of your feet. Loss of blood flow and nerve sensation, and destruction of bones and joints are just a few of the problems these diseases can cause. Visiting a podiatrist regularly can help you manage your foot health.
Want To Know More?
To find out more about how a podiatrist can improve your foot health, call Dr. Zahid Ladha at Foot First Podiatry in New Albany, IN. You can reach him in the office by calling (812) 945-9221, so call today.