Posts for category: foot deformity
The bony part of the back of your heel is subject to becoming irritated, painful, and swollen as a result of the pressure and friction caused by tightly fitting shoes. Shoes like high heels that greatly increase pressure on the heel and toes can cause a hard, bony bump to form on the heel called a Haglund’s deformity, also known as the pump bump. This growth forms close to the Achilles tendon and bursitis is often seen along with it as the buildup of calcium deposits occurs adding to the pain and discomfort.
Some of the more conservative treatments for Haglund’s deformity include the following:
- Wear comfortable shoes—The wearing of backless or soft canvas footwear will relieve the constant pressure and allow the skin to heal.
- Pain medications will also help reduce swelling—Ibuprofen or Tylenol will help to reduce pain and swelling and spreading a topical pain reliever on the inflamed area will often provide some relief.
- Icing the area—Place ice wrapped in a towel or use ice packs on the area for fifteen minutes several times a day to decrease swelling and pain.
- Physical therapy exercises for strength and flexibility—Stretching and strengthening exercises for the feet and calf muscles help relieve strain and pressure on the Achilles tendon and heel area.
- Custom orthotic shoe inserts—arch supports, and heel lifts will aid in decreasing motion and redirecting pressure.
These treatments will have the added benefit of helping to relieve the bursitis that is causing some of the pain and discomfort. In severe cases, surgery may be needed to shave the bump down so shoes can be comfortably worn.
If you have pain and discomfort on the back of your heel see your foot care professional for the proper diagnosis and treatment. Schedule an appointment with the Foot First Podiatry Center in New Albany, IN. Our highly qualified podiatrist Dr. Zahid Ladha, D.P.M. is dedicated to providing the best diagnostic care and medical treatment for you and your feet. Contact us at (812) 945-9221 and schedule an appointment today!