Posts for category: sports injuries
Participating in sports always involves the risk of injury, but there are some rather common-sense tips that can help prevent the majority of them. Even obvious things like properly warming up are sometimes neglected, and it only takes one time to suffer a debilitating and painful injury like Achilles tendonitis or a sprained ankle.
Avoid many injuries while playing sports with the following 6 tips:
- Warm up properly—A large number of sports injuries happen due to not properly warming up before playing. Stretching out your muscles, tendons, and ligaments before exercise with a variety of methods only takes five or ten minutes and could save you from a long injury recovery period.
- Wear the right shoes—Always wear athletic shoes that are designed for the specific sport you are playing. Wearing properly fitted shoes with the correct arch and heel supports for your foot type provides shock absorption and more even distribution of stress, pressure, and weight.
- Stick to a routine—Exercising consistently but increasing your level of play will gradually help prevent injuries.
- Use custom orthotic inserts—Overpronation, high arches, and bunions, among many other conditions, can be treated with custom-fitted orthotic shoe inserts.
- Cooling down is as important as warming up—Taking the time to cool down is just as important as doing warm-up exercises. By slowly tapering your exercise, you give tendons and muscles time to recover and resume a resting state without injuring them.
- Stop if you feel pain—While playing through excessive pain or discomfort may be manly, it can also be quite idiotic since an otherwise minor injury can turn into a serious problem if you continue playing. Best to stop and have the problem checked by a trainer.
If you have suffered a sports-related foot or ankle injury enlisting the services of a skilled podiatrist will help you find the best solution. Schedule an appointment with the Foot First Podiatry Center in New Albany, IN. Our highly qualified podiatrist Dr. Zahid Ladha, D.P.M., is dedicated to providing the best diagnostic care and medical treatment for you and your feet. Contact us at (812) 945-9221 and schedule an appointment today!