A bone spur is a small protrusion that can cause considerable pain and discomfort on your heel. These growths are frequently a result of plantar fasciitis. They can form on your heel as a result of repetitive stress and pressure and frequently occur in people who wear tight-fitting shoes like high heels. While a small spur may not cause any severe problems, a larger spur can make even routine activities like standing and walking extremely difficult.
Causes of bone spurs
3 factors that can cause or contribute to bone spur formation include the following:
- Poorly fitting shoes—Footwear that causes too much pressure and rubbing should be replaced or avoided. Have your feet properly measured and fitted.
- Stressful sports and other activities—High-stress impacts from jumping and running for sports and other exercises can contribute to the formation of bone spurs. People who are on their feet all day for work are also more susceptible.
- Being overweight—Carrying extra pounds increases the already severe pressure on the heel bone causing heel calluses and contributing to bone spur formation.
Treatments for bone spurs include the following:
- Wait and see— a small bone spur on your heel may not cause any serious problems or pain and until that happens, many people leave them alone.
- Custom orthotic inserts—Bone spurs and plantar fasciitis can often be treated with custom orthotic inserts. Talk to your foot doctor.
- Switch shoes—Wearing sandals or backless shoes will eliminate the rubbing and blisters caused by a small heel spur.
If the above conservative treatments are not enough, extracorporeal shock wave treatment or surgery may be necessary to treat the spur. If you are experiencing complications with bone spurs, enlisting the services of a skilled podiatrist will help you find the best solution. Schedule an appointment with the Foot First Podiatry Center in New Albany, IN. Dr. Zahid Ladha, our expert podiatrist, can provide the best diagnostic care and medical treatment for you and your feet. Contact us at (812) 945-9221 to schedule an appointment today!