Both inexperienced and professional runners are prone to the occasional running injury. Injuries such as runner’s knee, shin splints, plantar fasciitis, and stress fractures can happen to anyone. Runner’s knee and shin splints can be prevented by strengthening the hips and making the hamstrings, calves, and quadriceps more flexible. Plantar fasciitis can be prevented by frequently stretching the calves and ensuring one wears the correct shoes while running. Prevent stress fractures by avoiding overloading the feet.
Running injuries, even with proper precautions, can still occur in many runners. If you are suffering from a running injury, visit Dr. Zahid Ladha of Foot First Podiatry. Our doctor will attend to all of your foot and ankle needs.
How to Prevent Running Injuries
Many common running injuries are caused by overuse and overtraining. When the back of the kneecap starts wearing out and starts causing pain in your knee, this is commonly referred to as runner’s knee. Runner’s knee is a decrease in strength in your quadriceps and can occur if you’re not wearing properly fitted or supporting shoes. To prevent runner’s knee, focusing on hip strengthening is a good idea, as well as strengthening your quads to keep the kneecaps aligned.
What Are Some Causes of Running Injuries?
- One cause of a common running injury is called iliotibial band syndrome.
- Plantar fasciitis is also another common injury.
- Stress fractures can occur from overtraining, lack of calcium, or even your running style.
Best Ways to Prevent Running Injuries
- Wear footwear that fits properly and suits your running needs.
- Running shoes are the only protective gear that runners have to safeguard them from injury.
- Make a training schedule. Adding strengthening exercises as well as regular stretching can help keep you strong and limber and can lessen the possibility of injuries.
- Stretching keeps muscles limber, this will help you gain better flexibility.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office located in New Albany, NY. We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot care needs.
Read more about How to Prevent Running Injuries