Your body performs amazing feats every day, with many of them happening automatically or without giving much thought. Your feet are awesome body parts that get abused and neglected on a regular basis and we seldom take the time to marvel at how truly astonishing and reliable our feet really are.
So here are some fascinating foot facts to amuse and amaze you!
- Your feet are not the same size!—It is not unusual for one foot to be a half size larger than the other, so always get your feet measured when buying footwear and choose the size that accommodates the larger foot.
- Your feet contain a quarter of all the bones in your body!—That’s 26 bones! In addition, they are each comprised of over a hundred muscles, tendons, and ligaments, and 33 joints.
- Women get more foot problems than men—They actually get about four times as many foot issues as men, largely due to the wearing of high heels that cause damage to the feet and ankles, resulting in conditions like bunions, hammertoes, tendonitis, and ingrown toenails.
- You take over 8000 steps a day—The average individual can take between 8000 and 11,000 steps every day which equals enough steps in a year to walk around the globe 4 times.
- Foot bones take a long time to fully mature—From the time you are born, it takes until the age of 18 for your foot bones to become fully developed.
If you are concerned about a foot or ankle problem, schedule an appointment with the Foot First Podiatry in New Albany, IN. Our highly qualified podiatrist Zahid Ladha, D.P.M. is dedicated to providing the best quality care and individualized medical treatment for you and your feet. Contact us at (812) 945-9221 and schedule an appointment today!