Foot and ankle arthritis can cause crippling pain and stiffness to those areas preventing you from enjoying the life you once knew. There are many treatments available to slow down the progress of arthritis and Foot First Podiatry in New Albany IN can help.
What is Arthritis?
It is a painful inflammation and immobilization of the joints. It affects us more as we age and its symptoms reduce our activity. While the possibilities of curing arthritis are low, there are forms of treatment that can assist with the pain.
How does this happen?
Beginning as early as your forties, your feet show wear and tear over time. The cartilage between the bones wears down and the bones end up grinding against each other and eventually decreases your movement. It can make walking nearly impossible by the time we enter our sixties and earlier in some cases. Your “aching feet” become more than just a passing phrase.
How can we treat it?
- You can start with pain relievers to manage the pain as a temporary solution to try and gain more mobility.
- Over the counter anti -inflammatory drugs will reduce swelling in those joints perhaps long enough to help you sleep.
- If you purchase arch supports and insert them into your shoes it will relieve some of the pressure.
- Physical therapy is a great way to loosen the joints and keep them flexible.
- You can make an appointment with Zahid Ladha, D.P.M. and experiment with steroid injections directly into the joints. If this works you may get relief for a good length of time.
- Lastly, there are surgical procedures that might be right for you if you ask the doctor.
If arthritis develops (or already has) in your feet and ankles your range of motion will become very limited and this eventually will extinguish your daily activity or at least change it drastically. If your arthritic condition calls for surgery or if you would like a consultation on other forms of treatment call our office at 812-945-9221 and make an appointment. We recommend yearly visits to be sure that things have not changed and to simply check on your pain level. During the year, as an added precaution (and who doesn’t love a foot rub?) it would be wise to get a soothing foot and ankle message for some well needed relief.