Sunshine heals the fungi that lingers on simply because fungus hates light. Fungal nail can be tough to treat but Foot First Podiatry understands podiatric treatment and has plenty of remedies to make sure your toe nails are healthy. Before you try the anti-fungal treatments perhaps some oils that happen to be sitting in your cabinets can help.
Five for Fighting Fungi:
1. Tea Tree Oil is an antiseptic and fungicidal natural medicine. Rub the oil into the nail and let it soak in, about ten minutes then gently scrub the nail with a soft cloth. Try this daily until the new nail grows all the way in and continue for three more days to prevent it from coming back.
2. Orange Oil is a natural anti-fungal that will cure infection. Use a dropper to apply the oil on the nails and between the toes too. Let this one soak in for an hour or more. Since this is a very potent oil you may want to test it on your skin for allergies first.
3. Lavender Oil smells nice and is good for mild cases of fungi. Apply a few drops to the nail every night and let it soak in while you sleep. To prevent the oil from rubbing off, cover your feet with wool socks. Keep up with this treatment a few weeks after to ensure the fungi is dead.
4. Coconut Oil has caprylic acid, one of the medium chain of fatty acids in coconut oil which can penetrate the fungi. Soak it in for about fifteen minutes. There is no limit to how often you can use this for treatment.
5. Oregano Oil ~ this herb has anti-fungal properties so its oil is even better. Apply it to the nail and let it soak in, this one can be left on for the day.
After a fungal nail infection has cleared up, prevention should be your next step. If foot fungus is an issue for you this summer and home remedies have not been 100% effective call our office and schedule an appointment. We can be reached in New Albany at 812-945-9221. Dr. Zahid Ladha is here to help you get rid of that fungus.