Fungal toenail infections frequently appear to be going away but then the infection comes back. They can be very difficult to completely eliminate, especially because the inside of your shoes is the perfect location for the fungi to thrive.
As we age, we are more likely to develop fungal toenail and bacterial infections on our feet due to the decrease in blood flow to the extremities and the slowing down of the immune response.
Some of the main causes of recurring fungal toenail Infections include the following:
- Surface treatment—Over-the-counter remedies may not completely kill the fungi. Symptoms may subside for a while, but they often return requiring even more aggressive measures.
- Repeated contact with the fungi—Decontamination of your footwear is essential to prevent new infections from getting a foothold (so to speak!). Always be sure that any shower you share with others is properly disinfected to prevent spreading.
- Lowered immune response—People who have diabetes and circulatory disorders are more susceptible to getting recurrent fungal toenail infections, so see your podiatrist.
Treating and preventing difficult fungal toenail infections involves the following:
- Ask your podiatrist about cutting edge laser therapy for the treatment of difficult fungal toenails. Prescription medications may also be helpful. In the case of extremely advanced infections surgical removal of the nail will be require and a new, healthy nail will grow in place.
- Use antifungal spray and lotions in your shoes and on your feet and socks.
- Let your shoes completely dry between wearing to help kill fungal and bacterial organisms
- Protect your feet and wear shower shoes or sandals in locker rooms, showers, and pool areas to avoid contact with fungi and bacteria.
If you have a difficult fungal toenail, infection, see your podiatrist for the proper care. Schedule an appointment with the Foot First Podiatry Center in New Albany, IN. Our highly-qualified podiatrist Dr. Zahid Ladha, D.P.M. is dedicated to providing the best diagnostic care and medical treatment for you and your feet. Contact us at (812) 945-9221 and schedule an appointment today!