Approximately more than half of runners experience a running injury. Some of the most common injuries include muscle strains, stress fractures, and shin splints. To reduce your risk for injury it is important to include other forms of cross training with your running, such as resistance training and stretching to increase flexibility. Both of these forms of training will increase balance in the body while decreasing risk for injury.
Runners can still be prone to running injuries even with proper precautions. If you are suffering from a running injury see Dr. Zahid Ladha of Foot First Podiatry. Our doctor will provide you with quality treatment and assist you with all of your foot and ankle concerns.
How to Prevent Running Injuries
Many common running injuries are caused by overuse and overtraining. When the back of the kneecap starts wearing out and starts causing pain in your knee, this is commonly referred to as runner’s knee. Runner’s knee is a decrease in strength in your quadriceps and can occur if you’re not wearing properly fitted or supporting shoes. To prevent runner’s knee, focusing on hip strengthening is a good idea, as well as strengthening your quads to keep the kneecaps aligned.
What Are Some Causes of Running Injuries?
- One cause of a common running injury is called iliotibial band syndrome.
- Plantar fasciitis is also another common injury.
- Stress fractures can occur from overtraining, lack of calcium, or even your running style.
Best Ways to Prevent Running Injuries
- Wear footwear that fits properly and suits your running needs.
- Running shoes are the only protective gear that runners have to safeguard them from injury.
- Make a training schedule. Adding strengthening exercises as well as regular stretching can help keep you strong and limber and can lessen the possibility of injuries.
- Stretching keeps muscles limber, this will help you gain better flexibility.
If you have any questions, please contact our office located in New Albany, NY. We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot care needs.