This is a very sensitive issue to your friend’s noses and to you, the owner of those stinky feet. It can be socially embarrassing and awkward when it’s time to expose those stink bombs after taking off your shoes. If you’re thinking the answer is to just keep your shoes on, no! Your shoes can be the number one offender in most cases.
The two reasons for foot odor that go hand and hand or shall we say feet to feet in this case, is that your sweat interacts with the bacteria in your shoes and socks which creates an unwanted odor. To fix the problem, we must examine both causes. Zahid Ladha, D.P.M. suggests several ways to control your odor problem.
5 simple ways to prevent foot odor:
- Do not wear the same pair of shoes two days in a row. Alternate them so they can dry out and if the odor doesn’t go away you need to throw them away.
- Use thick soft socks to help with moisture absorption and change them often throughout the day if they become too wet.
- Sprinkle a nonmedicated baby powder or foot powder to your feet before slipping on your shoes.
- Stay away from nylon socks or plastic shoes as they do not allow much space for your feet to breathe and expel moisture.
- Check for fungal infections often to make sure you have not developed athlete’s foot. You will notice redness or dry skin in between your toes.
If odor still sneaks it way back into your feet don’t despair. Treating your foot odor calls for different measures. Your feet have a lot of sweat glands, more than most body parts and besides the uncomfortable social effects this condition can become painful if not treated.
3 home remedies for treating foot odor:
- Soak your feet in black tea ~ the tannins can be very effective
- Wash your feet with white vinegar ~ it fights bacteria
- Use a pumice stone to remove dead skin ~ dead skin adds to the bacteria which adds to the odor
If this does not help, then it’s three strikes and you’re out. It is time to call Foot First Podiatry in New Albany IN and schedule an appointment for an examination. If odor persists you may suffer from Hyperhidrosis, a condition which is inherited and causes excessive sweating in the feet and hands. This happens usually in men but women are not exempt. Simple life changes like hormones can trigger it along with stress, and some medications. Call us at our office in New Albany IN at 812-945-9221 and let us get those feet smelling like ross before Spring kicks in!