Treatment Options for Bunions
Though bunions develop slowly, they are easy to recognize because of the bony swelling at the base of the big toe. As is becomes larger, it gradually pushes the big toe inwards so that it may eventually cross the second toe. There are several treatment options for bunions. Dr. Zahid Ladha is a podiatrist at Foot First Podiatry in New Albany, IN. he can examine your feet and discuss your treatment options.
What Causes Bunions?
It is believed that the following factor may contribute to their development:
- Genetics: your susceptibility to bunions may be inherited.
- Foot stress: wearing ill-fitting shoes or heels can make bunions worse
How Are Bunions Diagnosed?
Your podiatrist will use a visual exam and X-rays to diagnose a bunion. The X-ray reveals the bone structure of your foot.
Ways to Treat Bunions
If you’re a New Albany resident who suffers from bunions, your treatment options will depend on the size of the bunion and your symptoms. Here are some possible treatments.
- Keep an eye on your feet throughout your life, bunions can take a while to develop.
- Chose shoes that have a wide toe box so that your feet are not compressed.
- Use over the counter anti-inflammatory medication.
- Talk to your podiatrist about custom orthotics or foot inserts.
If your bunions are severe and you are having difficulty wearing shoes or walking, you may want to talk to your podiatrist about having surgery.
If you live in New Albany and you suffer from bunions, contact Dr. Ladha today on 812-945-9221 to schedule a consultation. We will be happy to discuss your treatment options.