Metatarsal syndrome is a common ailment that causes the ball of the foot to become swollen and painful. Since the ball of your foot absorbs much of the stress and pressure when you are walking and playing sports, injury to the metatarsal bones, tendons, and tissues of the three middle toes can be very debilitating and requires proper treatment from your foot doctor.
Swelling in the ball of the foot can be caused by the following:
- Improper shoes. Shoes like high heels that scrunch your toes together can be a source of pain in the metatarsal area.
- Being too heavy. Carrying excess pounds puts additional stress on the ball of the foot.
- Foot neuroma. Characterized by fibrous tissue that most grows between the third and fourth metatarsal bones, causing pain and discomfort in the ball of the foot.
- Stress (or hairline) fractures in the toe bones may contribute to symptoms.
- Heredity. Some inherited foot shapes, such as having a high arch, or a second toe that is longer than the big toe can shift weight onto the ball of the foot.
- Training and playing hard. Playing high impact sports such as tennis and basketball can cause injury to the ball of the foot and metatarsal bones.
- Radiating issues from other foot problems like hammertoes and bunions often adversely affect the metatarsals and can cause pain in the ball of the foot.
- Arthritis can also contribute to pain in the ball of the foot.
If you are experiencing pain and swelling in the ball of your foot, enlisting the services of a skilled podiatrist will help you find the best solution. Schedule an appointment with Foot First Podiatry Center in New Albany, IN. Our highly qualified podiatrist, Dr. Zahid Ladha, D.P.M., is dedicated to providing the best diagnostic care and medical treatment for you and your feet. Contact us at (812) 945-9221 and schedule an appointment today!