Posts for tag: acrylic socks
Blisters are very easy to get and are generally caused by repeated friction to one area. While they do not always need medical attention, there are ways to treat these pesky annoyances before they can be a problem.
Some things to be careful of if you have a blister on your foot:
- If the blister pops unexpectedly and the fluid is white or yellow, you do need medical attention
- New shoes should always be tried on and make sure it is a good fit.
- Apply petroleum jelly and a bandage over the area that could attract blisters before hand
- Wear acrylic socks that provide a spot for your heel
- Wash and dry your feet after you shower to prevent infections
A blister is simply a pocket of fluid in the upper layer of your skin caused by the following:
- Forceful rubbing
- Exposure to chemicals
While blisters can appear in any place on your body, our feet seem to be the most popular since they take the brunt of our daily activity and are usually enclosed in shoes most of the year. They can be very painful but can also be relieved quickly if addressed shortly after the symptoms start.
7 steps to ridding yourself of a nasty blister:
- Give it air ~ let it breathe and get exposure quickly
- Use a lose bandage if you must cover it
- Clean it thoroughly but leave the attached skin
- Use a sterile gauze pad to gently absorb any fluid that may be draining
- Before covering it put some antibacterial ointment over the area
- Elevate your foot which will help ease the pain
- Soften the area by soaking it in warm water
Blisters are not the most dangerous foot condition and do not always require a medical visit but they can certainly create problems if not treated correctly, especially if you are a diabetic. If you need treatment for any foot condition or want to schedule an appointment with Zahid Ladha D.P.M. at Foot First Podiatry in New Albany Indiana, call our office at 812-945-9221.
We look forward to seeing you either way!