Posts for tag: arthritic conditions
As you get older, all those years of walking, running, dancing, and standing takes a toll. While completely natural, age-related changes to the form and function of your feet and ankles are inevitable. But you can minimize and postpone many of these effects with proper care and regular visits to your foot doctor.
5 foot and ankle problems that are likely to occur with age:
- Joint problems—Arthritic conditions tend to worsen as we age and often affect toe and ankle joints, causing considerable pain and discomfort.
- Your feet get larger—Due to the effects of gravity and pressure over time, the tendons and ligaments in your feet will gradually loosen as you age. Your arch will flatten and the overall length of your foot will increase considerably. Always have your feet properly measured each time you buy shoes to ensure they offer the proper support and cushioning. Custom orthotic inserts can help with a variety of foot and ankle problems.
- Your toenails get thicker—Nail growth slows down as we age and hormone and circulation changes will cause them to become more brittle and much thicker. This can make them harder to trim properly, increasing the chances of ingrown toenails and fungal toenail infections.
- Infections—Your immune response weakens as you get older and fungal and bacterial infections become harder to fight.
- Dry skin—Dehydration becomes more of a problem as you age, so be sure to drink plenty of healthy fluids throughout the day. Drying skin increases the formation of calluses and heel fissures on your feet.
If you are experiencing age-related foot and ankle problems, enlisting the services of a skilled podiatrist will help you find the best solution. Schedule an appointment with the Foot First Podiatry Center in New Albany, IN. Dr. Zahid Ladha, our dedicated podiatrist, delivers high-quality podiatric care for you and your feet. Contact us at (812) 945-9221 and schedule an appointment today!