Posts for tag: broken bone
Acute breaks often occur without warning, while stress fractures happen gradually over time from the repeated pressure of exercise, sporting activities, and work.
Some of the more obvious symptoms of a broken foot include the following:
● Intense throbbing pain, swelling, and bruising
● Cuts, bleeding, and possible protruding bones
● Putting weight on your foot causes extreme pain
● You may have difficulty removing your shoe due to the discomfort
Depending on what is broken and how bad the injury is, the symptoms of a fracture may not be extremely painful. For example, a broken toe may only exhibit minor pain while a broken heel bone can be excruciating.
If your pain and discomfort prevent you from putting weight on your foot, you should have the injury checked out by your foot doctor to determine the extent of the damage. X-rays or other imaging studies will be needed and surgery may be necessary.
Initial treatment for a broken foot includes:
- Immobilizing the foot and keeping weight off of it by using crutches or a wheelchair.
- Keeping the foot elevated and applying ice to reduce pain and swelling. Ibuprofen or Tylenol can help decrease pain.
- Using compression bandages will also help prevent excess movement until you can see your foot doctor for a proper evaluation.
If you suspect that your foot may be broken, see your podiatrist immediately for the proper care. Schedule an appointment with the Foot First Podiatry Center in New Albany, IN. Our highly skilled podiatrist Dr. Zahid Ladha is committed to delivering the best foot and ankle care. Contact us at (812) 945-9221 and schedule an appointment today!