Posts for tag: diabetic
Peripheral artery disease is one of the most common blood circulation problems and unfortunately, it frequently goes undiagnosed for long periods of time, with a concomitant increase in adverse effects. Many seemingly insignificant anomalies that occur in your legs, feet and other extremities can be indicative of this potentially deadly disease.
The eventual constriction of the arteries that is brought about by this disease can cause a variety of symptoms in your feet and ankles including:
- Muscle pain—This is often noticeable after exercising or other strenuous activities.
- Slow wound healing—The decreased circulation caused by constriction of the arteries can affect the immune response and make cuts, scrapes, bruises, and wounds heal all the more slowly. This can be compounded for diabetic patients since it is extremely important to avoid the associated infection and amputation risks.
- Slow growth of hair and nail—Decreased circulation also impairs the growth of tissues and nails.
- Changes in skin texture and color—Skin can become rougher and dryer due to the blood circulation faltering. Flushing of the skin and other color changes may also occur.
- Foot and lower leg pain—This can become severe enough to interfere with restful sleep and needs to be addressed by your foot care professional.
- Skin temperature fluctuations—If your legs and feet become cold easily, even when the temperature outside is warm, then you need to have an evaluation right away.
If you are experiencing signs of PAD, a foot care specialist can help diagnose this condition and look for other related complications. Enlisting the services of a skilled podiatrist will help you find the best solution. Schedule an appointment with the Foot First Podiatry in New Albany, IN. Our highly qualified podiatrist Dr. Zahid Ladha is committed to improving the health of your feet through individualized care! Contact us at (812) 945-9221 and schedule an appointment today!