Posts for tag: foot fracture
Two types of foot fractures:
- A Stress fracture is a small crack in the bone and is caused by overuse and repeated activity, typically found with runners and athletes that play sports like soccer and basketball.
- A Bone fracture is a result of a high force impact or an injury from weakened bones.
- Swelling, bruising, tenderness
- Immediate throbbing pain
- Trouble while walking or putting weight on that foot
- Unable to get shoes on or off
- Pain that increases with activity and lessens with rest
Since healing and recovery time for a broken foot depends on the type of fracture, it is best to get to a podiatrist within a short time to determine if the injury requires surgery to correct the damage.
- X-rays will help the diagnosis and will be needed to take a closer look at the injury.
- Treatment depends upon which bone is broken. Compression dressing, stiff soled shoe, a boot and relief from weight bearing will all be considered.
- Initial treatment can include RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation)
Foot First Podiatry is dedicated to good foot health and wants to see your son or daughter succeed in their sport while remaining uninjured.
- Work with your medical professionals and coach on any previous injuries or conditions.
- Wear properly fitted shoes that are dedicated to your sport.
- Drink a lot of water to stay hydrated so that you can play to your potential.
- Do not play through pain, get off the playing field and let the onsite doctor take a quick check if injured during a game or competition.
- Know your body’s limits and adhere to them even when the coach is shouting for you to push yourself.
If you or your child has fractured or broken their foot reach out to Zahid Ladha, D.P.M. and have our office guide you towards a suitable and quick healing process. We are located in New Albany at 812-945-9221 and would be happy to get you an appointment or a follow visit up from the emergency room.