Posts for tag: swollen ankles
Your feet can swell for a variety of reasons with being on your feet all day for work being one of the major contributors. Similarly, people who exercise vigorously and those who participate in sports may be more susceptible to having swelling in their feet and ankles. Ankle swelling can also be caused by systemic diseases, so see your foot doctor for a proper evaluation and expert treatment of your swollen feet.
6 common reasons for your feet and ankles to swell include the following:
- Being overweight—Carrying a lot of extra weight puts more pressure on your feet and ankles when you walk, stand, or exercise and the added stress can contribute to foot and ankle swelling.
- Diseases—Liver, heart, and lung disease can contribute to swelling in the feet and ankles.
- Medications—Some medications and procedures such as blood pressure meds, antidepressants, corticosteroids, and hormone replacement therapy can contribute to foot and ankle swelling.
- Decreased blood circulation—Arteries and blood vessels can become constricted causing fluid to be retained in the extremities, especially the feet and ankles.
- Injury—Spraining or straining your ankle causes trauma to the foot with severe swelling and pain.
- Pregnancy— Foot and ankle swelling during pregnancy is expected, but If it becomes excessive and doesn’t decrease after taking the weight off your feet you should see your foot doctor.
If your feet and ankles remain swollen for more than a day or two after resting, icing, and elevating, especially if fever and headache are also present, then you should have an evaluation with your foot doctor to determine the cause. Schedule an appointment with the Foot First Podiatry Center in New Albany, IN. Our highly qualified podiatrist Dr. Zahid Ladha, D.P.M. is dedicated to providing the best diagnostic care and medical treatment for you and your feet. Contact us at (812) 945-9221 and schedule an appointment today!