Many people who have flat feet do not experience any pain however, if flat feet are acquired in adult hood it can not only become painful but possibly disabling as well.
The best way to determine if you have flat feet is to notice how your feet hit the ground when they are wet on a dry surface. If your imprint shows most of your foot, chances are you have flat feet. This condition is usually associated with pronation (when your ankle bone leans inward as you walk) and when flat feet become painful it means the tendon in your foot has become inflamed or torn. Ignoring this condition can lead to permanent disability but if you take time to follow some of these simple suggestions you may see permanent results instead.
What causes flat feet?
- Stretched or damaged tendons
- Aging and decreased muscle strength
- Pregnancy or Obesity
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Abnormality from birth
What treatments are available:
- Supportive shoes will help long term changes. Avoid tight shoes, high heels or unnaturally shaped shoes.
- Consult a podiatrist for medical treatment as soon as possible.
- Weight loss can take the pressure off the bones, ligaments and tendons in your feet.
- Physical therapy may be recommended depending on the diagnosis.
- Orthotics that are custom made can give the best results.
Is surgery an option?
Depending on the severity of the deformity caused by pronation, flat feet reconstruction can restore function and relieve pain. Surgery will repair the damaged or stretched ligaments and tendons that support the arch. Full recovery from flat foot surgery can take up to one year but you should be able to go home the same day with a splint or cast to support the foot. All surgeries have complications and risks and this one is not exempt. Wound breakdown or incomplete healing of the bones could be a potential problem but proper care is essential to avoid this risk.
If you think you may have flat feet or would like to discuss a surgical solution contact our team at Foot First Podiatry located in New Albany Indiana. To schedule an appointment with Zahid Ladha call 812-945-9221 and let us change your foot print.